The Bach Gamut Vol. 1
|Main Performer |
|Individual Works:||1. Fantasy and Fugue in G Minor, BWV 542 |
2. Sheep May Safely Graze, BWV 208
3. Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C Major, BWV 564
4. Finale from the St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244
5. Prelude and Fugue in A Minor, BWV 543
6. Air on a G String, BWV 1068
7. Prelude and Fugue in D Major, BWV 532
8. I Call to Thee (Ich ruf? zu dir), BWV 639
|Comments:||dan w said:|
Live recording from St. Mary's Cathedral, San Fransisco made in 1975. Stunning and extroverted accounts of major Bach works, he also plays transcriptions from the Saint Matthew Passion and other works. An extremeely fluid account of the A minor is perhaps the strongest work on the disc, although the G minor fugue has a momentum in the pedal work that no one else seems to be able to achieve. The recording has a huge sonic range, although not necessarily 'natural'. Included is an interview with Virgil Fox on the DVD. His Bach is big and romantic (at least that compared to today's taste) but this recording will win over any skeptics.
|Acknowledgements:||Thank you to the following for submitting this recording and for your comments:|
|Date First Submitted:||06/29/2005|
|Purchasing:||Suggested Purchasing Sources|
Note: Inclusion in this database does not guarantee the availability of any recording. Some recordings may be out-of-print or no longer available.